Assignment 3

 Judith Joy Ross 
Untitled, from Portraits at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Washington, D.C. 1983-85

After reviewing all the portrait photographers, I decided to chose Judith Joy Ross to base my work off of. Her work really drew me in as her portraits show real life emotions. I really love how her portraits give a sense of connection between the viewer and subject. I took a particular liking to her work Protest the War where she photographed war protesters. She talks in a video for SFMOMA about the work explaining the intimate connection she feels between a complete stranger and herself through the camera lens. She indicates without the camera she is very socially awkward and so the camera is a way in which she can connect to people in her own way for a brief moment. I think this connection really comes through in her portraits and we can get some of that same intimacy with the faces. The faces are so expressive and thought provoking. This sense of connection is what I would like to draw on as inspiration when photographing my subject.




Comments

Popular Posts