Douglas Gordon Artist research


I found the work of Douglas Gordon to be intriguing as it's very ambiguous leaving it open to more than one interpretation or meaning. Douglas Gordon is a Scottish artist born on September 20, 1966, whose work encompasses film, photo, sound, text and other media. He often appropriates works (films, posters, etc.) to convey his concepts such as the movie Psycho which he distorts by slowing it down to project over 24 hours so a person never sees the entire film during his showing. In other work he is often present although he wears various disguises. A predominate theme of his art illustrates a dichotomy of ideas; good and evil, night and day, hell and heaven and so on. One of his text pieces records all the names of people he has met over his lifetime and similarly to Psycho time and the passing of time is explored in multiple ways, the two mentioned above being examples. 

 This exploration of time is something that I am exploring in my photobook as I'm reflecting the journey of my university years but in the framework of a day. Additionally in my projection project I wanted to play with stop motion to see how it affected movement. 










Comments

Popular Posts